The Customs Service has a broad mission, commencing from protection of the state, economy and citizens. Therefore, the mission of the Customs Service can be divided into two main categories:
Contribution to economic issues
- The collection of customs duties: such as customs duty, value added tax; excise for the Kosovo Consolidated Budget.
- Control import and export, defend the economy; protection of trademarks and others.
- Trade statistics.
Contribution to security
- Fighting illegal activities
- Increased security presence at border crossings through; fighting border crime; fighting drug trafficking, etc.
- Protection of population and environment, prevention of smuggling weapons and explosive substances